"Energy superpower"--(second try)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Jun 15 15:16:47 UTC 2006

        Both terms have been used on occasion for some years, with most
uses in the past two or three years.  They seem to refer to a country
that is a major producer of oil, rather than one that has large
reserves.  In concept, "energy superpower" should be broader, as it
would also refer to other forms of energy, such as natural gas and coal,
but in practice it seems to mean the big oil producers.  Here are the
earliest examples I found on Westlaw for each term.  Here's "oil
superpower," from Platts Oilgram News, 11/26/1986:

        <<Akins cautioned about exaggerating Saudi Arabia's influence in
OPEC. He noted that if Iran wins its war with Iraq, Saudi Arabia and the
other GCC members will face a local oil superpower, with prices soaring
quickly to $50/bbl or more. If neither side wins, the GCC will face two
"local superpowers" pushing for higher quotas to rebuild their
war-ravaged countries.>>

        And for "energy superpower," here's the Associated Press, from
3/15/1991.  PDVSA is the Venezuelan state oil company, Petroleos de
Venezuela:

        <<The reactivation plan fits into PDVSA's program to become an
''energy superpower'' by the turn of the century, when its
production potential would be as high as 4 million barrels a day,
up from current 2.4 million barrels per day.>>

        If you add to this some information on "superpower," perhaps
from the OED, he should be all set.

John Baker