Contraction in comparatives

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 19 16:12:45 UTC 2006

All three exx. sound not just acceptable, but absolutely normal to me.

  JL

Ed Keer <edkeer at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Ed Keer
Subject: Contraction in comparatives

I find the following pretty bad.

1. This pistol is as long as I'm tall.

Especially compared to the non-contracted version.

2. This pistol is as long as I am tall.

I'm not sure of my judgement in this case, so I'd love
to hear opinions. Also, are there dialects where (1)
is acceptable (if it's not good for others)?

I'm trying to figure out why this sentence:

3. I'm gonna buy me a pistol just as long as I'm tall.

from the Everly Brother's version of 'T for Texas'
bothers me. I think it' the contraction, but I'm not
sure.

Ed

watchmesleep.blogspot.com

http://mail.yahoo.com