Juneteenth (1903, 1907, 1908)

Landau, James James.Landau at NGC.COM
Wed Jun 21 12:53:35 UTC 2006

Mullins, Bill AMRDEC [Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL] asks:

>"The State Press"  Dallas Morning News  1902-06-26 > Page 6 > col 3.
>"Calvert Courier-Chronicle:  While the Senegambians were enjoying the
Juneteenth
>yesterday, the Anglo-Saxons on Main street witnessed the payment of a
novel wager."

>Senegambians??????

Apparently a portmanteau of "Senegalese" and "Gambian".

Don't know if this is relevant, but in World War I the troops from
French colonical Africa were referred to as "Senegalese" even though
some were from parts of French Africa (or even non-French Africa) other
than Senegal.

     - Jim Landau