Q: Pupil of the eye as the most expansive male organ

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 23 13:27:38 UTC 2006

Indeed, the four-letter word ending in "k" that means "intercourse" was "talk" and the action described was shaking hands.

  If rekindled memory serves - ha ! - these particular questions were associated with "membership" in a mythical organization called "The Turtle Club."  If you could answer all of them correctly, you were a member of the club and somebody had to buy somebody a drink.

  I believe further that the kid with the questions even had a pink novelty "business card" with the "Turtle Club" info on it.

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: Q: Pupil of the eye as the most expansive male organ

Like Jonathan, I think I heard the eye-pupil riddle/joke in
the early 1960s, when I'm sure I heard the one about the
stick of gum, the 4-letter word ending in "k" that
means 'intercourse', and "What does a man do standing up, a
woman do sitting down, and a dog do on 3 legs?" However, as
far as I am aware the earliest printed record of the eye-
pupil one appears in J. Barre Toelken, "The Folklore of
Academe," which is Appendix B of Jan H. Brunvand's textbook
The Study of American Folklore (NY: Norton, 1968), p. 321.

The genre--which folklorists variously term "catch riddles"
(or "catch questions"), "trick riddles" (or "trick
questions"), "pretended-obscene riddles," and "false-gestalt
riddles"--have circulated in English since the 10th century.
They were very popular in oral tradition in the 1960s and
1970s, being the raison d'etre of the infamous Turtle Club.

--Charlie