Ram-beggur

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Jun 24 15:00:38 UTC 2006

At 6/24/2006 10:07 AM, JL wrote:
>I think Dave's suggestion is as close as we're going to come to
>"rambeggur" for now. I like it.

Jonathan, can you recover the message containing "Dave's
suggestion"?  I don't remember one and can't find it myself.  Or were
you referring to a message of mine (Thu, 22 Jun 2006), in which I
wondered about:

>Someone elsewhere suggested your [I think "your" means Jl] "begging
>for a male sheep's
>attendance" to me, but without any evidence.  But a new thought to
>me: putting one and the other together, "ram" = "act of copulation"
>(rather than male ovine) + "begger" = "one who begs" -- that is, "a
>beggar for intercourse"??  And this would fit 1665 if Spears is correct.

Mine is, isn't it, similar to your "*Ram-beggar - for example - would
be considerably less "lurid," esp. if "ram" were understood as a
simple fornicatory term." (below)?  (Except for the one misspelling
as "begger"!)  Is this the suggestion you now like?

>   The invective below (not much compared to the forty-odd pages of
> the even earlier "Flyting Betwixt Polwart and Montgomerie") strikes
> me as reflecting a less sophisticated and concentrated approach

Well, it's all my correspondent offered (the context was vulgar
insulting language of the 18th c., not specifically sexual
obscenities), and watermen were unsophisticated, I presume  :-)

>to word formation than would a putative 17th-C. *ram-bugger, esp. as
>applied to a woman.  Such a compound would suppose both bestiality
>and an active sodomitical role for the female - perhaps equally
>shocking ideas in the 1660s and unlikely, I'd think, to be combined
>in a recognized vocabulary item. *Ram-beggar - for example - would
>be considerably less "lurid," esp. if "ram" were understood as a
>simple fornicatory term.  But we have little enough evidence for it
>at the time.

Joel