Q: Pupil of the eye as the most expansive male organ

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jun 24 22:48:54 UTC 2006

Shocked !  Shocked !  to learn of such ribaldry in our past !

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: Q: Pupil of the eye as the most expansive male organ

The 10th-century Exeter Book contains some riddles of this
genre (or is assumed to on the basis of later analogs; the
Exeter scribe failed to include "solutions"!). One poem
appears to describe a penis but "actually" refers to an
onion.

There's a nice riddle by the canonical 17th-century poet
Sir John Suckling, which editors routinely ruin by putting
the title "A Candle" at the top of the poem.

Instances occur in early 17th-century plays (annotators
typically overlook or ignore them). In Othello, Emilia
(Iago's wife) says to Iago, "I have a thing for you." He
replies, "A thing for me? It is a common thing--" to which
she exclaims, "Ha!" and he clarifies, "To have a foolish
wife." (Emilia then says, "Oh, is that all?")

In John Webster's Duchess of Malfi, Ferdinand remarks, "And
women like that part which, like the lamprey, / Hath never a
bone in 't." The Duchess exclaims, "Fie, Sir!" and he
responds, "Nay, I mean the tongue."

In Cyril Tourneur's(?) Reverngers Tragedy, the character
Lussurioso declares himself "far from thinking any virgin
harm, / Especially knowing her to be as chaste / As that
part which scarce suffers to be touched--[pregnant pause
here?]--/ The eye."

Here is an anonymous bit of deniable-ribaldry from the 18th
century:

I'm a hole, though too narrow
When first I am tried.
Yet the thing I was made for