OED dating of "cock" = "penis"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 25 06:24:57 UTC 2006

I can't give a date, but let me assure that "cock" as "vagina" is
alive and well among blacks. My first clue that "cock" could mean
"penis" came from reading porn, taking a lot of the fun out of the
porn, and not as a consequence of anything that I ever heard or
expereienced in real life.

During the Carter administration, there was a story going around to
the effect that a white Georgian, encountering Northerners for the
first time, is said to have commented to the effect that no wonder
Yankees are so strange. They can't even tell men from women. I have no
proof, but it has always been my assumption that the point of the
anecdote has to do with the Northern-white custom of using "cock" to
mean "penis."

BTW, what is that "cock horse" that was ridden to Banbury Cross? Is it
an old term for "stallion" or something?

-Wilson Gray