OED dating of "cock" = "penis"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 26 13:41:34 UTC 2006

As it happens, I learned "cocksucker" when I was in the first grade,
ca.1942, but it had no more meaning than, e.g. "hobble-de-hoy." When I
did find out what it meant, ca.1947-48, it had the standard
Southern-English / Black-English meaning and was held to be a way that
one could show that one was a mighty, mighty man. Likewise, it wasn't
until the 'Sixties, when porn became readily available, that I had to
deal with the Yankee meaning of cock.

And it's a damned shame that the writing of porn is - or was -
strictly an endeavor of Yankees.

-Wilson