It's obvious!---(a blend)

Tue Jun 27 14:34:49 UTC 2006

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> comments

And what, I wonder, causes some such "redundant" verb
constructions to be stigmatized and others not (so much)?

Does anyone object to "rise up" or "go away" or "lie down"?

 <<<<<

"Lie" by itself can also mean 'prevaricate', so the particle disambiguates
it. ("Disambiguate" is one of the ugliest words in my vocabulary, but it's
undeniably useful.)

Less distinctly, "go" by itself can take an implied destination depending on
context.
        "Should I go to Macy's, or Saks, or Lord and Taylor? Or maybe I
should just go down to Houston Street. Or I could go over to that new place.
What do you think? Do you think Macy's is the best idea?"
        "Just go AWAY!"

No comment on "rise up".

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]