Antedating of "Egyptology"

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Jun 29 12:58:14 UTC 2006

Quoting Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>:

> At 4:15 PM -0400 6/27/06, Fred Shapiro wrote:
>> Egyptology (OED 1862)
>>
>> 1847 _Fraser's Magazine_ June 638 (Periodicals Archive Online)  We predict
>> that the very name of Egyptology will produce a general yawn.
>>
> Pretty sad for a prospective first cite...  (Of course Indiana Jones
> wasn't big yet in 1847.)
>
> LH

"Egyptology" appears in a publication dated 1846. Page 3 top line,
right column
in google book search (though incorrectly titled and dated there as Ancient
Egypt, Her Monuments.... 1847--but that's a different, longer book) for George
Gliddon, New Series of Archaeological Lectures on Ancient Egypt...
(Philadelphia, October, 1846), even though the keyword search for Egyptology
appears not to work. This work, like the 1847 Fraser's Magazine one above,
refers to Ch. Bunsen's work Aegyptus Stelle (not in the library here). Perhaps
Bunsen coined the word in German in 1845?  Gliddon 1846: "He has brought with
him the most recent works, plates &c. bearing upon Egyptology...."

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson