Re: [ADS-L] An earl y "cock"?

Thu Jun 29 14:58:38 UTC 2006

I don't think it is too difficult to see ALL of the details as describing an
uncircumcised penis. I didn't look up "wortewale," though.

jet/inde tail = pubic hair
red corral/red sorrel comb = head of the tumescent penis
 azure legs = veins
silver white spurs = skin between the engourged veins
eyes of crystal = precum
locked all in amber = reference to urine (?)

Admittedly, some of these are a bit thin, but the fact that the "rooster" is
said to rest every night in the lady's chamber seems pretty clearly to
indicate that, at the very least, this is a total double entendre.

Did the audience already know that "cock" was a synoym for "penis"--or was
this just a novel extended metaphor? I agree that that is not clear, but I'm
inclined to think that--especially given the strained quality of some of the
vehicles, the author was counting on the audience seeing this as a pun rather than
some new clever metaphor that nobody had ever thought of before.