An early "cock"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 29 15:34:52 UTC 2006

This is OT, but related, I think. Back in the early 'Fifties, there
was a Top-Forties tune named "Sweet Violets." To the best of my
memory, the words were:

There once was a farmer who took a young miss
Behind the barnyard to give her a
Lecture on chickens and ducks and eggs
And told her that she had such beautiful
Manners that suited a girl of her charms
And he would like her to take in his
Washing and ironing and then if she did
He would give her such beautiful
Sweet violets, sweeter than the roses