An early "cock"?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jun 29 16:34:00 UTC 2006

Let me clarify:  Joel's (late-medieval?) "cock" poem is
definitely BAWDY; that was obvious to me even before I read
Ron's extensive exegesis!  The question is about the lexical
status of the word "cock."  The fact that "cock" in the poem
might present a commonplace metaphor, not "just a novel
extended metaphor" or "some new clever metaphor that nobody
had ever thought of before" (Ron's words), doesn't make the
WORD "cock" a synonym for "penis."  It just makes the cock
in the poem a SYMBOL for the penis, quite possibly a
conventional symbol.  Other poems have compared candles,
snakes, flutes--all manner of "phallic" objects--with
penises; and riddles have compared submarines, pencils, and
chewing gum with penises. But we don't say that the WORDS
mean 'penis'.

--Charlie