old hat

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 3 21:48:57 UTC 2006

The use of "your" for "you're" and the use of "you're" for "your" in writing
are so common, in my experience, as hardly to be worthy of mention. But I am
surprised to see that this phenomenon is so old, though.

Likewise, there are people who pronounce "your" as though it was spelled
"you're" and who pronounce "you're" as though it was spelled "your." In my
experience, this is a peculiarity of some dialects of White (American)
English. I didn't become aware of it until I joined the Army in the late
'50's. I found - and find - this usage *extremely* annoying, to the extent
that I once foolishly tried to get such speakers not to use it. Needless to
say, I had no success whatsoever. They didn't even understand what I was
driving at. So, I just had to learn to live with it.

I'd like to think that the pronunciation influences the spelling, but I have
no evidence for this beyond wishful thinking.

-Wilson