old hat

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 6 21:26:53 UTC 2006

I don't want to mess with your mind, Jon, but "tight as Dick's hatband" is
one of my 95-year-old mother's favorite expressions. You may recall the
discussion here in
which I tried to defend the thesis that women have no understanding of
slang.
Otherwise, you wouldn't have little old ladies like my dear mom talking
straight
out of the gutter without realizing it. I punted after being taken to the
woodshed
by arnold.

Since I literally learned this expression at my mother's knee, I had no idea
of
its origin till I happened upon it in Partridge. To coin a phrase, I was
shocked!
Shocked!

And speaking of not getting it, you'd be surprised at the number of women
who
have quietly taken me aside to explain to me that I'm mistaken in my belief
that I am the person who coined a given phrase. However, I was once
mistakenly given credit for initiating the use of "as a matter of fact,"
with
"yes" understood, as an alternative to a simple "yes."

-Wilson

-Wilson