One of those who: VP Sg or VP Pl?

Mon Mar 6 21:31:47 UTC 2006

On Mar 3, 2006, at 3:44 PM, I wrote:

> ... i had a student in my sophomore seminar a few years ago who did a
> small study on the choice and found some effect on the choice from
> the animacy of the plural noun.  she's now returned to the topic in
> the undergraduate research seminar.  i'll ask her to summarize her
> current thoughts for ADS-L.

Andrea Burbank and i are both having trouble unearthing copies of her
earlier work (which used Google searches.  we did find a semi-final
draft of her paper, which found singular verbs predominating across
the board, but especially strongly predominating for inanimate and
abstract Ns.  unfortunately it's a MS Word document, and can't be
attached here.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)