"B novel"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 9 16:49:00 UTC 2006

I don't know either of those terms, Paul. My experience with B-girls
came about when I was in the Army in Germany. There, the girls drank
real drinks: wine, Pernod (which I heard as "Panel," for some reason),
or Champagne, since no GI was so stupid as not to taste the drinks
that he was paying for. A GI could buy beer for himself, but not for
the girls, who drank nothing cheaper than wine. Since the girls were
also the waitresses, service was almost at the speed of light. They
had their own fridge, so that they didn't have to wait for the barmaid
in order to get their orders filled.

However, that the girls drank real drinks is not to say that they
couldn't clean out a sucker or drink any GI under the table.

Historical note. The girls had special, extra-short skirts, so short
that, when they sat down, their garters were way visible. They wore
these skirts only for paydays. Around this same period, in Amsterdam,
ordinary, random women on the street wore such short skirts.  for this
reason, I stopped wasting my money on frawlines. Money spent in
Amsterdam was never wasted. Anyway, this was about five years before
Mary Quant supposedly "invented" the miniskirt.

And if I was ever stupid enough to buy a hotel key, I would not admit
it. You can believe that! ;-)

-Wilson