"The world is a book" (Augustine? Lamartine?) & "The more I admire my dogs"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 14 19:09:07 UTC 2006

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."
--St. Augustine of Hippo (354-430)
(amNY.com/travel, 14 March 2006, pg. 17.)
AM NEW YORK travel always uses the quotation, as do many travel  publications.
Did Augustine say it, or did Lamartine? Lamartine (or is it someone else?)
is also known for "the more I see of the representative of people, the more I
admire my dogs." Great quote!
I'm booking my honeymoon right now _and_ throwing out books, so I'm
interested in the quotation. Does Fred have both?
(PROQUEST)
_DESULTORY  SELECTIONS.; GLEANINGS. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=329928701&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&T
S=1142359963&clientId=65882)
U S Gazette. The New - York Mirror: a Weekly Gazette of Literature and the
Fine  Arts (1823-1842). New York: Jul 19, 1828. Vol. 6, Iss. 2; p. 13 (2 pages)
Second page:
The world is a great book, of which they that never stir from home read  only
the title page.
_MISCELLANY._
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=833830652&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1142360044&clientId=65
882)
The Youth's Companion (1827-1929). Boston: Feb 2, 1831. Vol.  4, Iss. 37; p.
148 (1 page)
The world is a great book, of which they that never stir from home, read
only the title page.
_Article  7 -- No Title_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=3&did=272396831&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1142360143&
clientId=65882)
Atkinson's Casket (1831-1839).  Philadelphia: Jul 1834. p. 328 (1 page)
The world is a great book, of which  they that never stir from home, read
only a page.--_Augustine._
_Queries  and Answers; Queries and Answers _ (http://proques
t.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=119066046&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VNam
e=HNP&TS=1142359654&clientId=65882)
New York Times  (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 18, 1926. p. BR28 (2
pages)
First page:
_"The World Is Like a Book"_
MRS. LAURENCE JONES, Bangor, Me.--In answer to the request of G. E. L. in
your issue of March 28 for the lines:
It's like a book, I think, this bloomin' world,
Which you can read and care for just so long,
But presently you feel that you will die
Unless you get the page you're readin' done,
An' turn another--likely not so good:
But what you're after is to turn 'em all.
They are from Rudyard Kipling's poem entitled "Sestina of the Tramp Royal,"
and is contained in his collected verse.
_World  Is Book, Stay-at-Homes Read Only Page_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=9&did=474943712&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VN
ame=HNP&TS=1142359556&clientId=65882)
Chicago Daily  Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Dec 10, 1933. p. C4 (1
page)
_Queries  and Answers; Queries and Answers _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=39&did=88643956&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VNam
e=HNP&TS=1142359472&clientId=65882)
New York Times  (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 15, 1936. p. BR29 (2
pages)
First page:
_"The World Is a Book"_
JOHN P. FLANAGAN, Bangor, Me.: THe quotation, "The world's a book and those
who do not travel read only one page." wanted by M. M. F. in your issue of
Feb.  16, is attributed to St. Augustine on page 655 of "Useful Quotations," by
Tryon  Edward and others, published by Grosset & Dunlap, New York, 1933. M.
Beckhard, New York, sent the same information.
H. F. Trafford, Mineola, N.Y., writes: The following, by Lamartine, is
probably what this correspondent desires:
le monde est une espece de livre, dont il n'a lu que la premiere page qui
n'a in que son pays. (The world is a sort of book of which he has read only page
 one who has seen only his own country.)
(GOOGLE)
_http://french.about.com/library/quotes/bl_quote_l.htm_
(http://french.about.com/library/quotes/bl_quote_l.htm)

Le monde est un livre dont chaque pas nous ouvre une page.
Alphonse de LAMARTINE, Voyage en Orient  VIII
The world is a book; each step opens a page for  us.
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_de_Lamartine_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_de_Lamartine)

Alphonse Marie Louise Prat de Lamartine (Alphonse-Marie-Louis de Prat  de
Lamartine) (_October 21_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_21) , _1790_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1790)  - _February 28_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_28) , _1869_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1869) ) was a _French_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France)  _writer_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writer) , _poet_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poet)  and _politician_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politician) , born in _Mâcon_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mâcon)  into French  provincial nobility.
He is famous for his partly _autobiographical_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobiography)  _poem_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poem) , "Le Lac" ("The
Lake"), which describes in retrospect the fervent love shared by a couple from
the point of view of the bereaved man. Lamartine was masterly in his use of
French poetic forms. He was one of very few French literary figures to combine
 his writing with a political career. Raised a devout _Catholic_
(http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08754a.htm)  Lamartine became  a _pantheist_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism) , writing  Jocelyn and La Chute d'un ange. He
wrote Histoire des  Girondins in _1847_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1847)   in
praise of the _Girondists_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girondists) .
He worked for the French embassy in _Italy_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy)  from _1825_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1825)  to _1828_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1828) . In _1829_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1829) , he was
elected a member of  the _Académie  française_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Académie_française) . He was elected a 'député' in _1833_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1833) , and was briefly in charge of  government during the
_turbulence  of 1848_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revolutions_of_1848_in_France)
. He was _Minister  of Foreign Affairs_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_of_Foreign_Affairs_(France))  from _February 24_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_24) , _1848_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1848)  to _May 11_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_11) , 1848.
During his term as a politician in the _Second Republic_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Second_Republic)   of France, he led efforts that eventually
led to the _abolition of  slavery_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery)  and the _death penalty_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty)
, as well as  the enshrinement of the right to work and the shortlived
national workshop  programs. A political idealist who supported _democracy_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy)  and _pacifism_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifism) , his  moderate stance on most issues caused his followers to
desert him. He was an  unsuccessful candidate to the presidential election of
_December 10_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_10) , 1848. He  subsequently
retired from politics and dedicated himself to literature.
He ended his life in poverty, something of a literary hack. He died in
_Paris_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris) .
He is considered to be the first French _romantic_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic)  poet (though _Charles-Julien  Lioult de Chênedollé_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles-Julien_Lioult_de_Chênedollé)  was working on
similar innovations at the same time),  and was acknowledged by _Verlaine_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verlaine)  and the _Symbolists_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolists)   as an important influence.
_http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/alphonse_de_lamartine.html_
(http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/alphonse_de_lamartine.html)
The more I see of the representatives  of the people, the more I admire my
dogs.
_Alphonse de  Lamartine_
(http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alphonsede135420.html)

There is a  woman at the beginning of all great things.
_Alphonse de  Lamartine_
(http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alphonsede134597.html)
_fun with your  pets! dog quotes, canine quotations, animal quips_
(http://www.i-pets.com/petfunq-dog.html)
The more I see of men, the more I admire dogs. -  - - Jeanne-Marie Roland ...
I loathe people who keep  dogs. They are cowards who haven't got the guts to
_Quotations, Jokes, etc_ (http://www.todesschaf.org/quotes.html)
    Many people are desperately looking  for some wise advice which will
recommend ... The more I see  of men the more I admire dogs. -Mme De Sevigne,
1626-1696  ...
www.todesschaf.org/quotes.html -  10k - _Cached_
(http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:SBVpwnynQqAJ:www.todesschaf.org/quotes.html+"the+more+I+admire"+dogs+a
nd+people&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=15&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.todesschaf.org/quotes.html)
_Rottweiler Chat Discussion Forums_
(http://www.rottweilerchat.com/quotes/indexq1.htm)      Roger Caras The more I see of the  representatives of the
people, the more I admire my  dogs. - Count D'Orsay Dogs love their friends and
bite  their enemies, ...
www.rottweilerchat.com/quotes/indexq1.htm - 32k -  _Cached_
(http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:vTDE61E2lqsJ:www.rottweilerchat.com/quotes/indexq1.htm+"the
+more+I+admire"+dogs+and+people&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=30&ie=UTF-8)  -
_Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.rottweilerchat.com/quotes/indexq1.htm)
www.i-pets.com/petfunq-dog.html - 38k - _Cached_ (http://72.14.20
3.104/search?q=cache:k4AO5jg55JMJ:www.i-pets.com/petfunq-dog.html+"the+more+I+admire"+dogs+
and+people&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.i-pets.com/petfunq-dog.html)

(PROQUEST)
_Pebbles._
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=59&did=838479922&SrchMode=1&sid=8&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1142360937&clientId=6588
2)
The Independent ... Devoted to the Consideration of Politics, Social  and
Economic Tendencies, History, Literature, and the Arts (1848-1921).  New York:
Aug 11, 1881. Vol. 33, Iss. 1706; p. 10 (1 page)
"THE better I know men the more I admire dogs," is the remark of a French
cynic.
THE MACMILLAN BOOK OF PROVERBS, MAXIMS, AND FAMOUS PHRASES
by Burton Stevenson
New York: Macmillan Publishing Company
1948
Pg. 610:
The more I see the representative of the people, the more I admire my  dogs.
(Plus je vois des representants du people, plus j'admire mes chiens.)
--LAMARTINE, while a member of the French Provisional Government, 1848. See
COUNT D'ORSAY, _Letter to John Forster_, 1850.
Pg. 2626:
The world is a beautiful book, but of little use to him who cannot read it.
(Il mondo e un bel libro, ma poco serve a chi non lo sa leggere.)
--GOLDINI, _Pamela_. Act i, sc. 14. (c. 1760)
"Le monde est le livre des femmes" (The worls is a woman's book) is
attributed to Rousseau, and "Le monde est un espece de livre" (The world is a  sort of
book), to Lamartine. See under TRAVEL.