"Nigga" untrademarkable?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 16 05:25:36 UTC 2006

FWIW, I've heard "nigger" pronounced as [nIgr] by only one black person in
my entire life. It gave me the same creeps that hearing it pronounced by a
white person would have. So, I'm not sure what the OED means by "deliberate
adoption by some speakers." Oh, I see. The reference is only to the
development and adoption of the hip-hop spelling, as in "Niggaz Wit
Attitude." Never mind.

However, hip-hop hasn't "redefined" the word in any sense of the term. About
45 years ago, while reading a grammar of Yiddish, I was startled to discover
that "yid," a word that I had theretofore known only as a term of opprobium
for a Jew used by white Christians, was defined by this grammmar as "a Jew,
a man, a person, a human being," with no hint of there being anything
insulting about the term. I thought, "Hey, that's almost the same way that
[nIg@] works! It's an insult only when used by outsiders." I say "almost,"
because it is possible, under certain circumstances, for one black person to
insult another black person by calling him a [nIg@]. The so-called
"redefinition" has always been part of the definition of [nIg@].

-Wilson