Antedating of "Get-Go"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 16 16:02:50 UTC 2006

I'm makin' a note on that "break nasty" stuff.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Antedating of "Get-Go"

FWIW, IMO, the passage of time is sufficient. As far back as 1956, there
were at least two other, local versions of this still in play, before they
were edged out by "from the git-go": "from the be-go," in East Texas - I wa=
there for my grandfather's funeral - and "from the be-ginnin'," in St.
Louis.

>From an admittedly-casual examination of the dates associated with BE slang
that I've been familiar with since childhood, it seems to me that it takes,
on *the* average, as was said back in the '40's, from ten to thirty years
for a BE slang term to found in print or to leap the color bar and hundreds
of terms, at least, don't make it. A case in point is that of "break nasty,=
"
which is not in HDAS, though the slightly more recent and, IMO, much more
pedestrian synonym, "break bad," is.

-Wilson

http://mail.yahoo.com