"is-is"

Bill Le May blemay0 at MCHSI.COM
Sat Mar 18 21:41:12 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Arnold M. Zwicky
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 1:10 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "is-is"

> i'd be a bit more comfortable if we had some reports on the spot
> (rather than from memory), especially with more context.

I worked recently for several years with two different people (one of each
gender) who spoke this way.  One person grew up in Farley, IA; I can't say
for the other.  I would hear it at least once a week from each of them in
response to a "How do I X?" question.  However, I never saw them use it in
any emails (although we sat close together, so we didn't exchange a lot of
emails).

Bill Le May