"Hollywood accounting"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 22 00:22:47 UTC 2006

HOLLYWOOD ACCOUNTING--985 Google hits
The term "Hollywood accounting" was used today regarding the film version  of
CHICAGO. I remember it being used in Art Buchwald's suit against Paramount
for COMING TO AMERICA. In Hollywood accounting, percentage points of "net
profit" means zero, because the studio deducts everything as an expense. They
don't call it "net zero" for nothing. My professor of entertainment law said
simply: "This is a 'gross' business."
(GOOGLE NEWS)
_"Chicago" producer sues Miramax for $10  million_
(http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=industryNews&storyID=2006-03-21T230111Z_01_N21346560
_RTRIDST_0_INDUSTRY-LEISURE-CHICAGO-DC.XML)
Reuters -   <NOBR>48 mi
... suit filed on  Monday in Manhattan Supreme Court that Miramax, which then
was run by brothers  Harvey and Bob Weinstein, used fuzzy Hollywood
accounting to cheat  ...
_Chicago producer sues for $10m_ (http://www.news.
com.au/story/0,10117,18561531-23109,00.html)  <NOBR>NEWS.
<NO
_The pay's the thing as the man who made Chicago sues  Hollywood_
(http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-2097295,00.html)  <NOBR>Times
<NO
_Miramax cheating me, sez 'Chicago' producer_
(http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/401484p-340086c.html)  <NOBR>New York Dail
<NO
<NO
<NO
<NOBR>(G
<NO
<
_Article 10: Stan Versus The Man_
(http://www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=986)
Marvel  nominally had a right to share in the net profits, but Hollywood
accounting
is a strange beast, and the net profits have a funny habit of  being zero. ...
www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=986 - 15k - _Cached_
(http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:J0l2C0C_ChwJ:www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=986+"hollyw
ood+accounting"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.ninthart.com/display.ph
p?article=986)
<NO
<NOBR
_Hollywood accounting - Wikipedia, the free  encyclopedia_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting)
In accountancy, Hollywood  accounting is the practice of distributing the ...
Three main  factors in Hollywood accounting reduce the so-called profit of a
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting -  21k - _Cached_
(http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:rPgrRFIwmsQJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting+"h
ollywood+accounting"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=6&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Hollywood_accounting)
<NO
<NO
<NO
<NOBR>(PRO
<NO
_Buchwald  Movie Suit To Trial; Writer Says Idea for Murphy Hit Was His
Buchwald's Suit _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=22&did=735414152&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1142985482&clientId=658
82)
Kim Masters. The Washington  Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Dec
15, 1989. p. D1 (2 pages)
<NO
<NOBR>First
<NOBR>(Hollywood accounting practices are such that even hit films  rarely
show net profits, so the studio is likely to maintain the points probably  were
worth