"blue laws"

Carolyn S Lieberg clieberg at COMCAST.NET
Wed Mar 22 03:05:19 UTC 2006

This entry cites Peters again, though not as a forger and living
substantially earlier than the previously mentioned fellow.

The term "blue laws" seems to have been invented by Reverend Samuel
Peters, a pro-British American clergyman whose "General History of
Connecticut," published in 1781, set out to paint the colonists as
religious fanatics. Although popular legend maintains that the term
"blue laws" arose because the laws themselves were printed on blue
paper, Peters himself explained that by "blue" he meant "bloody,"
i.e., enforced by whipping, maiming and death.

from WordDetective comment