"Musical notes have more importance than bullets" (Hendrix,through Santana)

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Mar 24 14:04:34 UTC 2006

If you are interested in this subject and its ideological underpinnings you
might like to look up Dick Weissman's recent book, Which Side Are You On?

Having lived through and studied a lot of the movements he deals with as
well as having played with or set up concerts by many of the musicians he
writes about I can vouch for the correctness of most of his information and
conclusions although the book could have used an editor.

Has anyone else noticed the increasingly sloppy editing of books these
days. It is becoming a disgrace since apparently publishers think that all
you need to do is to run the manuscript through a spell checker and then
get it into print as fast as possible.

A topic for discussion here might be the number of words which pass a spell
checker but which are none the less the wrong word.

Then there is the problem of redundant paragraphs and simple fact checking.

Editors are apparently a dying breed.

It almost makes me long for the bad old days of typewritten manuscripts
which you had to edit yourself the hard way.

Page Stephens

-----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      "Musical notes have more importance than bullets" (Hendrix,
>               through Santana)

---

> This quote was in the news:
> _USATODAY.com - Carlos Santana speaks out against Bush_
> (http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-03-20-santana_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA)
> "As Jimi Hendrix used to say, musical  notes have more importance than
> bullets." In 1971, Santana was  prevented from performing in Peru by the
military ...
> www.usatoday.com/life/people/  2006-03-20-santana_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA - 51k
-
> _Cached_

(http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:ki4SISShlv8J:www.usatoday.com/life/peop
le/2006-03-20-santana_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA+bullets+and+musical+notes+and+hen
> drix&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_

(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.usatoday.com/
life/people/2006-03-2