the perils of accidental blending

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Mar 26 03:17:55 UTC 2006

    Yes, a Freudian slip is a possibility. The March 23, 2006 article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (pp. A1, 4) includes the following quote from Lenihan:  "I've never, ever really used that word in my life.  Maybe psychologically-wise deep down perhaps,but it's not how I feel."

   That's a pretty damning statement Lenihan seems to be making about himself; if the term is so offensive to him, why would he be using it "psychologically-wise deep down"?  And why include "really"  in  "I've never, ever really used that word in my life"?

     During my years of collecting  (syntactic) blends in English, I always excluded examples that struck me as possibly ambiguous.  Lenihan's possible lexical blend here (coup + boon) also seems ambiguous, and I would therefore exclude it from a reliable list of  blends..

        Gerald Cohen

        Original message from Beverly Flanigan, Saturday, March 25, 2006 7:27 PM: