Vals Kilmer (like "attorneys general"?)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Mon Mar 27 19:42:04 UTC 2006

>The Surgeon General is always addressed as General.
>
>At 01:34 PM 3/27/2006, you wrote:
>>I think the question was about how attorneys general are addressed. When
>>Alberto Gonzales appears before congress, is he addressed as General
>>Gonzales? I think this happens at least sometimes.
>>
>>-Matt Gordon

Ahah! Now we are getting down to my point!  The fact that we address these
officers as "General" seems to me, at least, prima facie evidence that --
never mind the French -- these _generals_ are not adjectives but nouns.  We
don't address retired professors as "Emeritus Jones"  or chair holders as
"Distinguished Smith", but as "Professor Whoever,"&c.
We have Sergeants Major and  and Lieutenant Colonels.  Why not attorney
generals and surgeon generals (thanks, Beverly)?
AM