Vals Kilmer (like "attorneys general"?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 28 17:14:10 UTC 2006

Fox & Friends this a.m. promised that "coming up" would be an interview with a history professor who uses infotainment so that "his students say they learn more about history" than from any other professor (in the world, obviously).

  Teasingly, they didn't mention his name. But they did say he'd reveal on camera "the origin of one of our obscene gestures. Hint: it involves *the French* !"

  Real life called me away before I could watch the segment, but my inbuilt bullcvrap detector tells me that the distinguished historian was about to endorse, to all of us out here in TV Land,  the "Agincourt Pluck Yew !" theory of digital insult.

  Fox & Friends is the popular morning show whose previous historian guests have endorsed the (slightly less nonsensical) "Van Buren theory of O.K. origin."

  My own belief, arrived at just this second, is that the cocky and defiant "Pluck yew !" incident is also the origin of our word "plucky."  Anybody doubt it ?  If so, shut up.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Vals Kilmer (like "attorneys general"?)

"Skeptical"? How can this be? Wikipedia, that vaunted repository of all
human knowledge ;-), believes it. However, I read it somewhere else maybe
fifty years ago and the story wasn't new, then. And, as we know, stories
that are around long enough tend to become regarded as "true."

In other words, I'm not quite skeptical, but I don't think that this story
is necessarily true, either.

-Wilson