"Bitch on heels" (and "Hell on wheels")

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 28 19:27:28 UTC 2006

BITCH ON HEELS--757 Google hits
BITCH IN HEELS--464 Google hits
HELL ON WHEELS--694,000 Google hits
The soap "All My Children" has an autistic character in it. One star of the
show has an autistic son. On Sunday, I went to an autistic fundraiser  that
featured five "All My Children" stars.
My wife loves these things, and I was watching one, and, somehow, "bitch on
heels" was mentioned in the soap.
(OED)
e. hell on wheels:  someone or something regarded as resembling hell; also
attrib. or  quasi-adj.
1843  Quincy (Ill.) Herald 10 Mar. 1/4  Hell-upon-Wheels!..the most appropria
te name for that craft  [sc. a steam-boat]. 1868  _S.  BOWLES_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-b3.html#s-bowles)  in F.  L. Paxson Hist. Amer.
Frontier (1924) lii. 497 ‘Hell on  Wheels’ was the appropriate name that Samuel
Bowles of the  Springfield Republican bestowed upon the town he visited in
1868. 1897  _P.  WARUNG_ (http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-w.html#p-warung)
 Tales of Old Regime 50 To look  up an' know heaven's above, an' not the roof
of a hell-on-wheelsoh, that'll be grand!  1945  _WYNDHAM  LEWIS_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-l.html#wyndham-lewis)  Let. 13 Mar. (1963) 381 We
learn  here that the ‘Hell-on-wheels’ outfit has reached the Elbe. Hooray!
1966  J. PEARL  Crucifixion P. McCabe (1967) ii. 24 He's hell on  wheels on
Monday mornings. 1968  _S. CHALLIS_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-c2.html#s-challis)  Death on Quiet Beach xii. 174  You don't pull any imitation
disease over the immigration  doctors. Those guys are hell on  wheels.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
_The Year of the Woman_
(http://groups.google.com/group/bit.listserv.cinema-l/browse_thread/thread/d65b4cc803c40b9a/0e6350c0511673fa?lnk=st&q="bitch+on+heel
s"&rnum=24&hl=en#0e6350c0511673fa)
... her.  Paglia, a postfeminist bitch on heels, is a staunch  defender of the
film. "Woman is the bitch goddess of the universe! _Basic  ...
_bit.listserv.cinema-l_
(http://groups.google.com/group/bit.listserv.cinema-l?lnk=sg&hl=en)  - Mar 31 1993, 10:17 pm by Jim Courier Express (Yee, Eugene)
- 10 messages - 8 authors
(GOOGLE)

_How to become a fashion editor_
(http://www.fashion.net/howto/fashioneditor/thejob.html)
Fashion magazines are typically estrogen-heavy  environments, and things can
get nasty and competitive faster than you can  say "Bitch on heels. ...
www.fashion.net/howto/fashioneditor/thejob.html - 11k -  _Cached_
(http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:-mKgnJvmTMQJ:www.fashion.net/howto/fashioneditor/thej
ob.html+"bitch+on+heels"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar
pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.fashion.net/howto/fashioneditor/thejob.html)
<NO
<NO
_SIMONE DE BEAUVOIR_
(http://artsandscience.concordia.ca/wsdb/courses/398X.html)      “Bitch on Heels: Confessions of a Pop  Culture Junkie.” In Bust
(Eds.). Marcelle Karp and Debbie Stoller. New  York: Penguin, 1999. Marshment,
Margaret. ...
artsandscience.concordia.ca/wsdb/courses/398X.html - 11k -  _Cached_
(http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:EmtZb87a0s4J:artsandscience.concordia.ca/wsdb/cour
ses/398X.html+"bitch+on+heels"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar
pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:artsandscience.concordia.ca/wsdb/courses/398X.html)