army ranks [was: assorted comments]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Mar 29 01:57:32 UTC 2006

The duties (for British and colonial military) are described in
various military manuals of the 18th century (naming only the century
that I have perused a little).

In military or "command" contexts (such as commanding assistance in
apprehending a criminal), a colonial governor was referred to as
"captain-general and governor".

But where does the colonel fit into this hierarchy?  How is he
distinguished from the major?  (A question that actually bears upon a
current project of mine; I don't have a good answer.)

Joel