"Out of his tree" (crazy)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 30 00:28:20 UTC 2006

Goes back to the '60s in my experience.

  JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: "Out of his tree" (crazy)

OUT OF HIS TREE-28,800 Google hits
(GOOGLE NEWS)
_Facing down a culture where they talk like crazies_
(http://www.suntimes.com/output/steyn/cst-edt-steyn261.html)
Chicago Sun-Times, United States - Mar 2
... insanity on the grounds that (I'm no Islamic jurist so I'm paraphrasing
here) anyone who converts from Islam to Christianity must ipso facto be out
of his tree ...
I saw this in Mark Steyn's column (reprinted in the New York Sun). HDAS has
1942 for the similar "out of town."
I don't have a tree. I never even had a Christmas tree.
(OED)
1996 D. F. WALLACE Infinite Jest 253, I even tried telling him Himself was
miserable and pancreatitic and out of his tree half the time by then.
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
_The return of net.bizarre._
(http://groups.google.com/group/net.news.group/browse_thread/thread/9af49d07cb4930a2/b6e05403747af647?lnk=st&q="out+of+his+tree
"&rnum=208&hl=en#b6e05403747af647)
... Bryan Gumball? Is he out of his tree? -- Jim Crandell, CS Dept., The
University
of Texas at Austin {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell
_net.news.group_ (http://groups.google.com/group/net.news.group?lnk=sg&hl=en)
- Jul 31 1985, 9:08 pm by Jim Crandell - 8 messages - 8 authors