basketball "length" (was Re: Vals Kilmer)

Thu Mar 30 03:00:32 UTC 2006

On 3/30/06, Robert Fitzke <fitzke at michcom.net> wrote:

> Speaking of words and phrases that are created to "meet a need" or serve a
> special purpose, I'm grappling with the recent pop culture use of the word "
> length" to describe a basketball player or team that has height, as in such
> and such team has length, or so in so has length.
>
> Oddly, my dad, born in 1897, told me someone in his home town of LaSalle,
> IL, used to call him "Lengthy" (He was 6' 2 1/2"; very tall for the times.

-----
1990 _Atlanta Journal and Constitution_ 24 Mar. B5 (Factiva) As Lewis
[sc. University of Houston coach Guy Lewis] once replied when asked
about Olajuwan's skills, "I'm kinda fond of his length."
-----
1992 _Los Angeles Daily News_ 23 Apr. S1 (Factiva) He's got the size,
the quickness, the length, the jumping ability... and although a few
of our players laughed when I told him this, I also think he has the
brains.
-----
1993 _Milwaukee Journal_ 3 Apr. 10 (Factiva) He's got length and great
anticipation and some some great blocks.
-----
1993 _Portland Oregonian_ 22 Dec. C6 (Factiva) He has length and
athletic ability and handles the ball well for a guy his size.
-----

The last three quotes are all from Lakers/Bucks coach Mike Dunleavy
(about Elden Campbell, Dikembe Mutumbo, and Vin Baker, respectively).

--Ben Zimmer