People's lawyer (attorney general)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 30 14:28:03 UTC 2006

PEOPLE'S LAWYER + ATTORNEY GENERAL--20,800 Google hits
"AG" means "attorney general" and "aspiring governor," and NY AG Eliot Spitzer is running for governor this year. His commercials stress that he represents "the people." Mark Green--who seeks to replace Spitzer as AG--says that he will truly be "the people's lawyer."
When my co-op was facing bankruptcy in the late 1980s because of a fraudulent co-op filing by the sponsor, I went to the "people's lawyer" to help save my home and never got a response...never mind.
When did "people's lawyer" for "AG" start, and why isn't it in the OED or in Fred's books?
(GOOGLE)
markgreen.com > Mark Green, Democrat For New York State Attorney ... Mark Green For You: New York Attorney General 2006. ... "As a People's Lawyer, Mark has been a crusader on behalf of consumers for more than 30 years. ...
www.markgreen.com/ main.cfm?actionId=globalShowStaticContent&screenKey=globalDefault - 25k - Cached - Similar pages
Office of the NYS Attorney General Eliot Spitzer ... in becoming the finest public interest law organization in the nation, and that the Attorney General will rightfully be known as "the People's Lawyer." ...
www.oag.state.ny.us/message.html - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

(PROQUEST)
Mr. Javits Endorsed; His Election as Attorney General on Record of Accomplishment Urged
RALPH OBER. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 20, 1954. p. 28 (1 page)
Mr. Roosevelt has distinguished himself as an absentee Congressman. He plays to the gallery. His legal experience is a blank page--and yet he seeks the office of Attorney General. He has had not trial work--yet he wants to be the people's lawyer.
LOYAL OPPOSITION URGED BY JAVITS; Republicans Advised to Have 'Feasible Alternatives' in Clashes at Albany
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 18, 1954. p. 22 (1 page)
Mr. Javits said he would serve as the "people's lawyer" and a "watchdog" against corruption and unethical practices "regarless of the party or the location."