Sick at/to/on/in

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 1 13:55:49 UTC 2006

What has struck me as weird about my native version, as I've learned a bit
about dialects, is the fact that it's not "sick at *one's* stomach." I
certainly would never say, in normal, unmonitored conversation, e.g. "I hit
him in the head" or "John punched him in the mouth," as opposed to, e.g. "I
hit him in his head" or "John punched him in his mouth."

When I was a kid in St. Louis, the usual street phrase was "I fee' like I'm
gon' vomic"[sic] <har! har!>, since "vomit" was considered to be gross and
nearly as taboo as any of the four-letter words.

In St. Louis BE, -Vt# > -Vk# was such a powerful rule that I knew college
graduates who pronounced, e.g. "Hittite" and "comet" as "Hittike" and
"comic." Sometimes, friends asked me to help them learn the standard
pronunciation. But I was never successful at it, since, by the time that any
of them cared, they had "made 21" and learning a new pronunciation was as
difficult as learning a new language. It probably would have taken speech
therapy to enable them to change.

-Wilson