Eggcorn: tract vs. track

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Tue May 2 12:46:52 UTC 2006

I've got a potential eggcorn, though it's probably already been noted
somewhere: I just got final projects in from the students in my graduate
class, and one of them consistently writes about "tracts" within the
English major in her introduction.

We have "tracks" in our English major here--creative writing, tech
writing, literature, rhet/comp--but "tracts" makes sense, if one thinks
of the definition of something relatively small and separate from other
tracts in the area. (I'll try to find out if that's actually what she
was thinking when she wrote it if i see her around.)

--
David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx