Fricative voicing in *houses*

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue May 9 20:21:37 UTC 2006

I think Wilson's observation on the voiceless form of house plural
(hou/s/es) probably reflects a north-south distinction. Both
pronunciations are there in the north; the voiceless form is rare in
the south. I'm also not aware of any studies of the distirbution of
the voiceless form in areas where it exists.

On the other hand, Wilson is playing pretty fast and loose with the
labels BE and WE when he suggests that "I'm through verb+ing" is BE.
For me, the "through" is not only native (I'm a WE speaker) but also
carries a "sick-and-tired" connotation.

A: Are you done working?
B: Done hell, I'm through!

dInIs

>Among speakers of American Black English, the plural of the noun, "house,"
>is "hou[z]es." Likewise, the verb, "(to) house," is "hou[z]e." I personally
>did not become aware of the validity of the pronunciation of the plural as
>"hou[s]es" till perhaps ten years ago. Before then, if ever I noticed that
>anyone pronounced "houses" as "hou[s]es," either it didn't register or I
>assumed that the speaker was working-class or lower, therefore not a speaker
>of standard American White English whose pronunciation I needed to be able
>to emulate in formal settings.
>
>FWIW, I had the same problem with BE "through" vs. WE "done," as in BE, "I'm
>_through_ VERBing," vs. WE, "I'm _done_ VERBing."
>
>-Wilson
>
>On 5/9/06, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:

>>-----------------------
>>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>>Subject:      Re: Fricative voicing in *houses*

>>>Michael Becker of MIT asked the following question, and I replied (on
>>another
>>>list I am on);  my reply is below his question.  I said I would
>>cross-post the
>>>question here.  As usual, if anyone can help Michael, would you please
>>reply
>>>both to him and to this list?  Thanks!
>>>
>>>Damien Hall
>>>University of Pennsylvania
>>
>>Nothing on the isogloss for hou[s]es vs. hou[z]es--I'm pretty
>>restricted to the latter group, except of course for the former
>>pronounciation for "house's".  But something that always struck me
>>was the speakers who distinguish "hou[s]ewife" from "hou[z]ewives",
>>as a kind of assimilation at a distance.  The latter innovation has
>>always struck me as a phonological analogue of its morphological
>>counterpart in "sleptwalked".
>>
>>Larry

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man [sic]
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. Alfred
North Whitehead

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English