ring, rang, rung

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed May 10 13:59:41 UTC 2006

And then there was the plastic surgeon who hung himself . . .

>Agreed, except on "hanged", since there's no denominal
derivation here (the way there is with "ringed", "flied
out", and the late, lamented "hamstringed".  With "hanged",
there are just two different (but related) verbs, originally
differentiated by their past tense but no longer
consistently so.  I put those in the same bag with
transitive "shined" (my shoes) vs. intransitive (the
sun) "shone", which also have begun to undifferentiate...