Fricative voicing in *blouse* (with a note on "dwarves")

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 10 21:43:05 UTC 2006

I agree with Charlie WRT having heard blou[z] often enough not to consider
it weird or strange.

I don't remember how I came to "know" this, but, ever since I was a little
kid in the '40's, I've regarded "dwarves" as the proper pronunciation and
"dwarfs," which I pronounced "drawfs" as a child (I have a mother who
remembers every dumb-assed thing that I ever said or did as a child and
enjoys the hell out of re-telling, nay, acting them out) as anomalous. For
many years, I've been afraid that "dwarves" would go the way of "EXquisite,"
spoken only by a few voices crying in the desert: "But, if you say
'exQUIzit,' why don't you also say 'perQUIzit' and 'reQUIzit'?! What is
WRONG with you people?!"

-Wilson