Contemporary slang bites the big one

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 16 13:56:47 UTC 2006

Originally, it had to do with the sentence, "Our main computer bit the big
one," from an e-mail that I received from my sixteen-year-old niece. At
first, I had no idea what she meant, because I knew the phrase only from my
Army days, which ended in the early '60's. In the military, the phrase was
used _only in the present and it defined an inherent property_, as in,
"Burn-bag detail bites the big one." Saying, "Burn-bag detail _bit_ the big
one" would have been like saying, "Water _was_
wet." Burn-bag detail always bites the big one and water is always wet.
Resorting to HDAS allowed me to realize that said niece was probably
eggcorning on "bites the dust." "Our main computer bit the dust" makes
perfect sense to me.

"Bite bit" came up when people wondered whether sentences like the examples
would also have posed a problem for me. No, they wouldn't have, except in a
case like, "Reality bit," given that reality bites, as was so eloquently
spelled out in the movie of that title.

-Wilson