Fake Latin plural . . .

Sun May 21 03:34:52 UTC 2006

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> writes:

And then there's the plural of "process" pronounced
/pro s@ siz/ (with secondary stress on the final syllable),
which I used to associate with the speech of pretentious
pseudo-intellectuals, but now it sounds almost normal (maybe
I am becoming one of those!).

 <<<<<

That one at least has something of an excuse: three sibilants in a row
separated only by lax front vowels tend to blur into a barely modulated
hiss. Tensing the vowel of the last syllable makes it much more
pronounceable, in my opinion (and mouth).

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]