Deep Down in the Jungle redux

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 22 15:12:11 UTC 2006

Life is strange. I learned "looby-loo" as a child in Saint Louis in the
'40's. It was about 25 years later in Los Angeles that I heard the
"loop-de-loop" version. I know the line, "Step back, Sally, Sally, Sally" as
"Jump back, Sally, jump back." Unfortunately, I've forgotten all other
relevant
information. But these words and their rhythm have stuck with me,
which is to say that "Jump back,
Sally, jump back" will now
be running through my mind for the rest of the day. Oh, well. ;-)

In Saint Louis, there was once a popular dance step called the "camel walk."
This was also in the '40's. I have two left feet, but I can still do this
step. That is, it was an adult dance step so simple that even
an unco-ordinated child - I was in perhaps the fifth grade, at the time -
could learn it. So, it's quite possible that the step was derived from some
children's game or, OTOH, became incorporated into a children's game. Or
maybe not. The camel walk that I know is literally a way of walking and
doesn't involve the upper body at all.

"Neither you nor I nor anyone knows how oats, pease[sic], beans, and barley
grows[sic]." This is all that I can remember of a song sung by Frank Luther,
who recorded songs for kiddies, in the '40's.
A local paper once referred to him as "the children's Frank Sinatra" or some
such.

-Wilson