When did "Black" start replacing "negro"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 25 21:32:52 UTC 2006

Sam, you mean "When did 'Negro' become 'black'," right? Not the other
way around. Cap-N has been the norm since I learned to read ca.1940.
There's never been any consensus WRT "Black" vs. "black." Some people
who use(d) "Black" also use(d) "White." That parallelism makes sense
to me. My personal prefs, as has, no doubt, been noted, are for
"black," though I often facetiously use "colored," and "white."

-Wilson