Buffallo (NY)--"City of Light" and "McKinley Curse"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 30 18:02:29 UTC 2006

The Buffalo Sabres play in the NHL playoff's tonight. Eliot Spitzer just
today accepted the Democratic convention nomination for New York State Governor
in Buffalo.
Buffalo's nickname (taken from Paris) is "City of Light," from the electric
light display at 1901 Pan American Exposition.
"McKinley Curse" has been used for Buffalo in the past 100 years, but, like
the "Curse of the Bambino," it seems more coincidence/convenience than a
formal  "curse." The "McKinley curse" was mentioned on NPR in 2001. Supposedly, the
 failure of the Buffalo Bills to win the Super Bowl in the 1990s prompted
Buffalo's newspapers to invent the "McKinley curse." Are Buffalo's newspapers
digitized to check this?
"CITY OF LIGHT"
_CITY  OF LIGHT WAS SHAKEN.; Czolgosz Nearly Killed the Exposition.
Stockholders Stand  to Lose a Million. Buffalo's Splendid Courage is Bent Toward Making
a Final  Success. PRESIDENT M'KINLEY'S INTEREST. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=268&did=326974842&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=
309&VName=HNP&TS=1149010894&clientId=65882)
THE NEW  ASSOCIATED PRESS. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current  File). Los
Angeles, Calif.: Sep 23, 1901. p. 2 (1 page)
_REVIVAL  IN BUFFALO; City Shaking Off Effects of Fortnight of Anxiety.
BRILLIANT CLOSE OF  EXPOSITION Six Weeks More Left Beautiful City of Light in Which
to Recover from  Heavy Blow of National Tragedy -- General Rally All Over the
Country to Show  Sympathy -- State Days to Be Observed on More Magnificent
Scale Than First  Proposed. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=270&did=257429452&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1149010
921&clientId=65882)
The Washington Post. Sep 23, 1901. p.  7 (1 page)
_FAREWELL  WEEK AT BUFFALO.; Close of the City of Light to Be Marked by
Notable Series of  Events. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=276&did=257496452&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1149010921&
clientId=65882)
The Washington Post (1877-1954).  Washington, D.C.: Oct 28, 1901. p. 1 (1
page)
"McKINLEY CURSE"
_Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free  encyclopedia_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York)
... that Buffalo suffers from the  "Curse of McKinley" -- that the city has
been cursed by bad  luck since President McKinley's 1901 assassination and this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York  - 109k - _Cached_
(http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:ONYgFciKEFoJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York+mcKinl
ey+curse+and+buffalo&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Buffalo,_New_York)
<NO
<NO
_Buffalo is Focus of National Radio  Show_
(http://www.npr.org/about/press/010622.buffalo.html)
"Buffalo has always fascinated me since I  visited my aunt Zula there when I
... to the 'curse'  of the McKinley assassination, to Charlie Chaplin candy at
www.npr.org/about/press/010622.buffalo.html -  16k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.10
4/search?q=cache:7DfcKRRptioJ:www.npr.org/about/press/010622.buffalo.html+mcKinley+curse+and+buffalo&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar
pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.npr.org/about/press/010622.buffalo.html)
<NO
<NO
(http://goto-new-york.com/travel/32/history-of-buffalo/)      ... that Buffalo  suffers from the “Curse of
McKinley” — that the  city has been cursed by bad luck since President
McKinley’s 1901 assassination and this  ...
goto-new-york.com/travel/32/history-of-buffalo/  - 14k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:AKOSP_7uO6gJ:goto-new-york.com/travel/32/history-of-
buffalo/+mcKinley+curse+and+buffalo&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=10&ie=UTF-8)  -
_Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:goto-new-york.com/travel/32/history-of-buffalo/)

(GOOGLE BLOGS)
_History of Buffalo_ (http://goto-new-york.com/travel/32/history-of-buffalo/)

27 Apr 2006 by sukhdeep
There is a myth, propagated by a local newspaper  following one of the
Buffalo
Bills’ four straight  Super Bowl losses in the 1990s, that Buffalo suffers
from
the “Curse of McKinley” — that the city  has been cursed by bad luck since
_New York -  http://goto-new-york.com/travel_
(http://goto-new-york.com/travel)
(GOOGLE BOOKS)
_Complete Life of William McKinley and  Story of His Assassination - Page
342_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=0tZCtJ2GRC_n6Uw5Q&id=s1M-maJ2J-QC&q=mckinley+curse+buffalo&dq=mckinley+curse+buffalo&ie=ISO-8859-1)
by Marshall  Everett
LYING IN STATE IN BUFFALO. ...  “Curse the man that shot you!” he said. The
police
urged him forward, and he went out shaking his I  muttering against the ...
Snippet view - _About this  Book_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=0tZCtJ2GRC_n6Uw5Q&id=s1M-maJ2J-QC&dq=mckinley+curse+buffalo&ie=ISO-8859-1)