Research

Sally Donlon sod at LOUISIANA.EDU
Wed Nov 1 18:37:39 UTC 2006

Tanya,

I don't know of many cognitive linguists who would say that "pants"
have replaced "trousers" in American English, but rather that "pants"
fills a much more general, and therefore frequent, slot in semantic
space. Just yesterday my daughter and I scoured the local shopping
mall searching for "trousers," meaning we were trying to find "pants"
with a certain set of design features:  that clasped at one's actual
waist, had a zippered fly, were full and even rather blouson  through
the thighs, and tapered slightly toward the ankle. Virtually every
fashion retailer understood what I meant when I used the word
"trousers," which we looked for in the "pants" section of the store.

sally