Bullcorn

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 1 23:31:16 UTC 2006

Yeah, it's impossible to say which came first. Conceivably "bullcorn" was a direct euphemism for "bullshit," but our bullshit records (in the technical sense) don't go back quite far enough to prove this.

  Or "bull con" may originally have been a particularly "strong" kind of "con," a word that was widely used by 1890s slangsters.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Bullcorn

I've long since learned not to approach the altar without first
consulting the Bible. :-) Nevertheless, it's still attention-grabbing
when one of these old ghosts appears, risen from the grave of
non-usage, especially on Hallowe'en!

FWIW, "bullcorn" in Southern - well, in East-Texas, at least - BE is
anomalous, since "-orn" is pronounced as "own." "Choppin' cone" is a
usual summer job for working-class black kids. It's probably just
another instancee of people who can't say "awe," but they can still
say, "aw, hell!"

-Wilson