"Squaw"

Thu Nov 2 16:46:19 UTC 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 8:01 AM, Scot LaFaive wrote:

> Does anyone know when and why "squaw" became a derogatory term for
> a Native American female? According to the OED, the word comes in
> various forms from some Algonquin languages, but there is no sense
> or explanation for its derogatory meaning.

wikipedia has a pretty good entry:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaw

even better, it has links to articles by Ives Goddard and Bill Bright
on the history of the word.  the Bright piece has a thoughtful (and
humane) discussion of the sociolinguistics of the matter.  (here shed
a tear with me for the passing of this excellent scholar and
wonderful man.)

arnold