Race/racism and the late Prof. Frederic G. Cassidy

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 2 19:59:11 UTC 2006

sThanks, guys. A really weird aspect of the American variety of racism
is that *anyone* can become black merely by saying, "I'm black," and
be believed, regardless of what he looks like. A case in point is the
late, great, rhythm-&-blues musician and bandleader, Johnny Otis, born
to Greek-American parents as Yannis Veliotis, who lived nearly his
entire life, from the 'teens on, as a black man. Those who are fans of
obscure jazz musicians may be aware of his son, the guitarist, Johnny,
Jr., better known as "Shug" Otis, though I can remember when he was
still an infant nicknamed "Sugar Boy."

As my "friend," M's, blow-up - you'd have that I had asked whether it
was true that Prof. Cassidy was pimping out his wife and daughters and
hustling his own butt as a gay pross - demonstrated, there is
sufficient latent racism that, basically, only an insane person or
someone actually of black ancestry would be damned fool enough not to
go for white, if he could, despite how things look from the other side
of the color bar.

Remember Jennifer Beals, of "Flashdance" fame? In an interview
published in the Boston Globe, she was quoted to the effect that, were
her father still alive, he would want her to call herself black, but
her mother preferred the term, "mixed."

While browsing through Google, I came acrosss the claim that there are
about 7,000,000 people of multiracial ancestry and this number, which
includes people of mixed Asian, South-Asian,  Native American, and
Hispanic-American and European ancestry, as well as people of mixed
African and European ancestry is growing. This is a statement that is
beyond silly, given that there is no doubt that there have been people
of mixed European, African. and / or Native-American ancestry since
colonial times. The number of people of mixed European and African
ancestry alone probably tops 7,000,000. Indeed, your humble
correspondent, the darkest-skinned member of his own immediate family,
descends from a white great-grandfather.

BTW, Fred, have you ever seen the movie, _The Harder They Come_? If
not, you should rent it. It'll give you a clearer picture of how race
and skin tone work in Jamaica than the UW faculty's memorial
resolution does.

-Wilson

On 11/1/06, Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Race/racism and the late Prof. Frederic G. Cassidy
>
> On the web I find a memorial resolution of the University of Wisconsin
> faculty containing the following information:
>
> "Cassidy's interest in Creole English came naturally enough -- he was born
> in Kingston, Jamaica, in 1907, to a Canadian father and a Jamaican mother.
> He grew up hearing their two varieties of standard British English and the
> Creole variety of the Black majority as well."
>
> I'm not certain how to interpret this, but it sounds like his mother was
> Jamaican but not a member of the Black majority.
>
> Fred Shapiro

> Fred R. Shapiro                             Editor
> Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
>    Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
> Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986
> e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               http://quotationdictionary.com

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens