Race/racism and the late Prof. Frederic G. Cassidy

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 3 02:42:07 UTC 2006

The short "oo" sound is very confounded in English tradspel. There is no
consistent way to spell it.   In truespel phonetics I go with ~oo to
represent the short oo sound.  Some say that ~oo should spell the long oo
sound, but my research in running text shows that there are more instances
of short oo than long oo.

Tom Z

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>From: Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: Race/racism and the late Prof. Frederic G. Cassidy
>Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 18:16:51 -0500

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Race/racism and the late Prof. Frederic G. Cassidy
>
>Wilson's mention of Shug Otis reminds me of how, last year while teaching
>_The Color Purple_, I had such a struggle discouraging the students from
>pronouncing the character Shug's name so as to rhyme it with "hug."  But
>then, there really isn't a good way to represent the nickname or common
>(Southern?) epithet clipped from "sugar" orthographically.
>
>--Charlie

Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more…then map the best
route!  http://local.live.com?FORM=MGA001