blogger and blogess

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 3 05:55:04 UTC 2006

Do they really spell it as "blogess" as opposed to "bloggess"?

-Wilson

On 11/2/06, William Salmon <william.salmon at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       William Salmon <william.salmon at YALE.EDU>
> Subject:      blogger and blogess
>
> > At 4:06 PM -0500 11/2/06, hpst at earthlink.net wrote:
> >> What do you call an actress these days, a woman actor or simply an actor?
> >>
> >> As far as I can tell the use of a word which denotes the sex of a person is
> >> going out of style and therefore the use of gender specific words denoting
> >> the sex of the person is disappearing..
>
> However, it seems pretty common for a female blog writer to be referred
> to as a "blogess".  This feminine form is nowhere near as common as
> "blogger", but many female blog writers do make the distinction.

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens