More faux-acronymic "grunts"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 4 18:15:01 UTC 2006

Some time ago I reported on the assertion that the military sense of "grunt" is an acronym for "GRound Unit - Untrainable."

  That's kind of a stretch, even for a fake acronym, so here are improved versions:

  "Folklore has it that GRUNT was originally an acronym of Government Reject - Unfit for Normal Training.

  "Grunt Ground Roving Unit, Not Trainable"

  If grunt's are "government rejects," they shouldn't be wearing uniforms, but both tidbits come from here: http://www.milterms.com/search.php?method=exact&q=grunt&s=0.

  JL