Cold War; Shapiro's "hotly awaited tome"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 5 05:00:12 UTC 2006

Didn't I/we find "Cold War" before this?...Fred Shapiro wrote a "hotly
awaited tome"?
_http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/05/magazine/05wwln_safire.html_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/05/magazine/05wwln_safire.html)

Orwell, now remembered mostly for the gloomily prescient novel “1984,” put
cold war in print one year before  Swope mentioned it. There may be an equal
coinage find in other famous phrases,  but some equal discoveries are more equal
than others.
I planned to end this item with that sly allusion to a famous line of
cynicism from Orwell’s 1945 “Animal Farm.” It can be found in the invaluable
Bartlett’s Quotations and has been credited to Orwell thousands of times: “All
animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.” That was his
satiric play on the ringing “all men are created equal,” written by Jefferson
in  the Declaration of Independence and reimmortalized by Lincoln in his
Gettysburg  Address.
But just to double-check Orwell’s wording, I looked up his “more equal than
others” line in an advance copy of the Yale  Book of Quotations, the hotly
awaited tome edited by Fred R. Shapiro that I will  review soon. There was the
Orwell quote, exactly as in Bartlett’s, but with a  note at the bottom, “See
Bierce.” I turned to quotations from Ambrose Bierce,  author of The Devil’s
Dictionary and other works, and there was the antedating  quotation from a
Bierce article in San Francisco’s Wasp of Sept. 16, 1882:  “All men are created
equal. Some, it appears, are created a little more equal  than others.”